Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Roles

I feel like we have officially entered the ranks of parenthood tonight by waking up to our poor, sweet 3-year-old daughter having been sick all over herself and her bed. (I'm sure it was a product of too much Easter candy.) I wanted to cry for her; she was so scared and confused. We worked together to wash her up and clean up her bed. We spoke soothing, loving words and she was comforted.

After getting her out of the bath, the three of us--my daughter, my husband and I--gathered in the office. He told her that he was going to give her a blessing and that she needed to be very reverent and still, (which is still a huge challenge for her.) I explained that a blessing is like a prayer, just more special and important and that it would help her feel better.

Her father then proceeded to give her a blessing of comfort and peace. Amazingly she was perfectly still and quiet. When it was finished, she looked up at me and her face lit up in a smile. She seemed almost giddy. I jumped on the opportunity. "How do you feel inside?" I said. "Good!" Came the enthusiastic reply. Then I pointed out that this was the Holy Ghost helping her to feel better. I told her that I wanted her to try to remember that feeling.

As we tucked her into bed, I thought about how this whole scenario was perfectly representative of the balance that ought to exist in our homes and between our roles as parents and husband and wife. We partnered together in our work, but my husband's part is in administering the Priesthood and my part is one of being teacher.

Now, this example may not be perfect, but for me it expressed with simple beauty the plan of our Father in Heaven and the importance of our roles in that plan. I'm so very grateful for my part in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment