Friday, April 12, 2013

Celebrate Motherhood!

 Today I feel to rejoice for the glorious blessing of being a Mother in Zion!





I am so far from being a perfect mother... I struggle regularly--sometimes daily--with the responsibilities and duties that are mine.  For this and many other reasons I have often questioned my qualifications and worthiness to write a blog like this.  Who am I to tell anyone else anything about motherhood?

But this morning I have been reminded in sweet and quiet ways why I want to write this blog.

I want to celebrate motherhood!

I want to remind myself and others what being a mother really means, what it is all about, and how we can excel and succeed at this sacred calling.  I also want to talk about the difficulties and the struggles of motherhood... because it IS hard.  That is what makes it all the more important and fulfilling.  But most of all I want to express my unfailing love for my children and for Christ who gave me this calling and teaches me how to magnify it day by day.

Lately my thoughts about motherhood have been centered around why it is important to be a good housekeeper.  I know that it is important, and I believe that it relates to nurturing. I'm still not sure I have it all figured out, but here are my thoughts so far:

Housework is all about creating a safe, clean, and peaceful environment for your family.

Whether or not I have my dishes done affects whether or not I will feel like making a healthier meal, (because often the healthier food requires more preparation, more time in the kitchen, and creates more dishes to be done.)  If my home isn't tidy, I will be less inclined to have friends over which affects my ability to serve, but it can also affect my daughter's moods because they don't have as much variety in their day.  If I'm not caught up on laundry it might affect my desire to leave the house, especially if I or my girls don't have anything decent to wear.

The general cleanness and tidiness of the home affects everyone's attitudes and emotions.  You all remember what it was like when you finally cleaned up your room when you were a kid, right?   Suddenly you felt lighter and happier!  I remember feeling greater gratitude when everything was organized and put away.  We all know the saying, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness."  And there is the scripture that counsels us to "create a house of order."

I welcome any other thoughts on how housekeeping is a form of nurturing, and I'll definitely add to these ideas as I come up with more.

No comments:

Post a Comment