Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Daily Sanity Checklist

So, I'm not going to lie:  I SO do not have this motherhood thing figured out.  We're having an especially challenging time lately because of a combination of sickness, potty-training, sleep training, and having just moved here.  I rarely have a day when I don't feel like I'm losing my sanity.

So... for my own future reference and in case it might inspire someone else... here is my Daily Sanity Checklist.  (You're going to learn very quickly that I am definitely a list person.)  :)

1)  Prayer.  I have to start out my day humbly recognizing that I can NOT do this on my own, and essentially turn the reins over to God.  I let Him be in control, because I don't know what I'm doing!

2)  Scripture Study.  This is the time of my day that I feel that I can receive answers and direction for myself and for my children.  Honestly, many mornings it is just reading a verse or two.  Ideally I would spend thirty minutes, but that all depends on whether I wake up before my girls or not.

3)  Time Outside.  For whatever reason, I feel the most serenity and closeness to God when I am outside in nature.  Even if all I can get is a couple minutes sitting on my porch, it helps to recharge me.

4)  Quiet Time.  Big Sister (3-years-old) has given up her nap time, but I have been working with her on spending at least an hour playing quietly by herself in her room while Little Sister (soon to be 1) takes her afternoon nap.  This (sometimes) gives me the much needed opportunity to just listen to the silence and not be grabbed, climbed on, nagged, or bothered.  It's a piece of heaven, and I am a much better Momma afterward.

5)  Social Contact.  I have decided today that even if it's just texting or talking on the phone, I need the chance to converse with a real adult everyday.  It's especially helpful if it's another mother who understands what I am going through and/or has advice to share.  Because of that, I hope that anyone who does take time to read these posts will at least stop and drop a line to let me know that you're there.  :)

Obviously, these can be done two or even three together, which is important because we all know that our time as mothers is at a premium.  I'm going to try harder to remember to take the time to do these little things that help me to be better at what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment